Skip to main content
Campus Resources

Medical Records

Student Health recognizes the right to privacy of each individual to whom health care is provided. Medical Records and Referral staff are responsible for preserving the privacy and confidentiality of patient information in all its stages of development and use. Medical information will not be released to parents, friends, faculty and administration, and future employers without an Authorization for Release of Medical Information signed by the patient. However, records may be shared in the event of a medical emergency (e.g. patient is incapacitated), if subpoenaed or required by law.

Students may sign a release of their medical records on a case-by-case basis. A blanket medical information release is discouraged. What you might want to release to a third party now, you may not want to release at a later date. You will need to sign a release form each time you want new information released from your records. In most cases a medical power of attorney will not be permitted to obtain patient records.

Our staff will assist patients by processing requests to release or obtain health information and by managing patient referrals (sending a patient for medical tests or to a specialist outside of the SH). Our staff will coordinate the process by ensuring a signed records release authorization is on file, finding a doctor that participates with your insurance, scheduling an initial appointment and sending medical information pertaining to your referral, if applicable.

All persons presenting for medical care for the first time will be asked to indicate their consent for treatment and acknowledge receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices. The Notice of Privacy Practices is available on our website and at the SH Front Desk.


  1. Patients must complete and sign an Authorization to Release Healthcare Information form.
  2. Once the form is completely filled out/signed: Mail, fax, email or hand delivered the form to the Medical Records and Referrals Department.
  3. We will send the requested information as requested. If picking up records, please go to the Front Desk (upper level of the building).

Requests may take up to 5 business days to be processed. Information pertaining to alcohol or other drug dependencies and Communicable Diseases require a release specific to that information. All releases must be signed by the patient.

We accept medical information from off-campus by mail, fax or it can be hand delivered. NOTE: All outside medical records sent to Student Health will not be reviewed until the patient has been seen by a SHC provider. 

  1. Log on the SHC Patient Health Portal
  2. Select the Immunizations tab
  3. Select the green print button on the immunization page is displayed.
  4. No Authorization for Release of Medical Information needed!
  5. Retain copies of your immunization records for future use

Refer to section above on How to obtain your Medical Records form the SH

Power of Attorney (POA). This person can make financial and legal decisions on behalf of his or her student. However, this does not allow the Student Health Center to release medical bills and patient records due to the nature of the protected health information.

To make medical decisions on behalf of his or her student, the individual would need a Medical or Health Care POA. This person is then able to make medical decisions for his or her student in the event that the student is unable to do so. For example, the student is in an accident and cannot make decisions about treatment.

If a student has legally designated an individual POA or Medical POA, this document should be kept with the designated POA and with the student. The Student Health Center can scan a Medical POA into a student's electronic health record for reference. If the student is being seen at a local hospital or different health care facility, this information would need to be provided directly to that facility by the student or designated POA. Consult an attorney to discuss your needs and state requirements.

Submit the POA to the SHC- Medical Records Department in person or by mail. 

Student Health - Medical Records
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001

Phone: 704-687-7192

Fax: 704-687-1796


Location: Upper Level (Front Desk) of the Waddell Center for Student Health and Wellbeing

Mailing Address:

Medical Records
UNC Charlotte, Student Health Center
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001