Skip to main content
Campus Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Appointments are required for all non-urgent medical conditions. Students who require immediate care for acute injuries and other medically urgent conditions will be seen by a nurse who will assess and triage patients according to medical urgency. Link to more appointment information. For emergency/life threatening conditions, dial 911.

There is no charge to see a physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, psychiatrist, nurse, or registered dietician. These services are included in the Student Health Fee which is included in tuition. However, there are charges for pharmacy, laboratory tests, x-rays, allergy shots, immunizations, specialty clinics and some procedures. Click here for more information about costs and payments.

No, the Student Health Center does not provide excuses for missing classes. The Student Health Center can provide a statement verifying that a student was seen at the Student Health Center for an appointment.

No! All visits are strictly confidential and are not part of your academic record. Information in the medical record may only be shared if you sign an authorization to disclose protected health information. No one can access your medical records without your written permission, including University faculty and administration, future employers, roommates, friends, or parents.

Yes, please view our health insurance requirements for more information.

The Student Health Center is happy to file claims for all students enrolled in the University student health insurance plan. If you have private health insurance, a statement detailing the services you received will be provided so that you may file a claim with your insurance carrier. Payment for services may be paid in cash, check, or charge at the time of visit or placed on your student account for payment at a later date.  We also accept flexible spending account cards.  Link to more information about health insurance requirements, student health insurance and insurance claims.

All medical records are considered confidential. Persons who wish to request a copy of their medical record must complete and sign an Authorized for Release of Medical Information form. Allow up to 5 business days for your request to be processed.

If submitting a copy of your medical records to us, please hand deliver, fax or mail to:


Student Health Center, Medical Records
UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001





The Student Health Center understands that an Emotional Support Animal can be an important source of support during stressful times for many students. Nonetheless, the Providers at the Student Health Center will not prescribe or provide letters supporting the use of Emotional Support Animals to any student. Additionally, pursuant to University Policy 704, Emotional Support Animals are not permitted in any campus building (excluding campus housing, if registered with the Office of Disability Services).

Parents can view insurance premium charges and waivers (credits) to your student’s account by logging onto the Guest Access Portal (GAP), an online system that allows students to provide access to certain information including student accounts.

To gain access, the student must log into their Banner Self Service Account and add you as a Proxy. Once you are added, confirm your email address and create a password. You must be granted access to the “Account Summary” option to view if the student has waived or is enrolled in the university health insurance. Click on this tab and look for “Student Health Premium”. The waiver will look like a payment on the student account.

All International students are required to have health insurance while attending UNC Charlotte.  Students may enroll into the Student Health Insurance Plan or they may enroll in another US or home country plan that meets the University's minimum health insurance requirements. In order to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan, students must complete the online waiver form with Blue Cross Blue Shield.  

Your health plan must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Minimum total benefit/coverage of $100,000 (USD) per accident or illness
  • Plan deductible of no more than $500 (USD)
  • Minimum of $50,000 (USD) for medical evacuation
  • Minimum of $25,000 (USD) for repatriation coverage
  • Policy must be active for the entire duration of the academic semester
  • Pregnancy and mental health benefits (must be comparable to the benefits offered in the Student Insurance plan)

**Important notice regarding non-US health insurance plans.  After completing the online insurance waiver you will be required to send a copy of your policy declaration page for review. All information must be submitted in English and all of the benefits and exclusions of the plan must be clearly stated. If the policy does not meet the minimum requirements and/ or it is not completely in English, the waiver will automatically be declined and students must purchase the University sponsored plan.

The Student Health Center will file insurance claims ONLY for those students who have Student Blue, the Student Health Insurance Plan offered through Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC).  Students who carry Student Blue will not be required to pay any fees up front for medical services, with the exception of prescription copays.  Once the Student Health Center receives reimbursement from BCBSNC, student accounts may be billed for any charges that are not covered by Student Blue.

Students who carry any other type of insurance will be responsible for paying any charges at the time of service and will file for reimbursement through their own insurance company.  The Student Health Center does not file any third party insurance.

The Student Health Center is not a Medicaid provider. 

All students can use Student Health Center services. There is no cost to see our providers. However, there are charges for lab, x-ray, pharmacy, allergy shots, physical therapy and special procedures. Since we are not a Medicaid provider, students will be responsible for these charges.

Pharmacy: Medicaid will pay for prescriptions filled at the Pharmacy, if written by a Medicaid provider.

Co-op, Student Interns, and Student Teaching students are eligible to enroll in Student Blue but are not required to buy it so long as the student:

  • Is enrolled in at least 6 credit hours for undergraduate or 3 credit hours for graduate students,
  • Is degree-seeking participating in a campus-sponsored internship, a co-op semester, or student teaching that is required as part of the academic degree program.

HOW TO ENROLL:   A student who meets the above criteria must enroll in Student Blue by completing this form.

  • You will be enrolled in Student Blue health insurance within 3 business days. Your Student Account will be charged the semester premium within 3 business days.

Students must be enrolled at UNC Charlotte in order to use the Student Health services. Students who withdraw from the University, whether they receive a refund of the Health Fee or not, are not eligible for medical services except for one follow-up visit at the discretion of the attending provider for an illness or injury treated immediately prior to the withdrawal.  However, students who withdraw from the University may continue to use the Student Health Center pharmacy.  For more information, call 704-687-7359.


Students enrolled in the Student Blue health insurance and withdraw from the university, please see the table below in reference to the time frames.


Withdraw before/after

Following to apply


Before September 24

Student Blue coverage will be cancelled.

Students will be responsible for any claims made prior to the cancellation date. Claims made at the Student Health Center will be forwarded to the student's tuition account. If the student filed a claim for services off campus, that facility will bill the student for the services received. Insurance premium charges taken off student account


After September 24

Student Blue insurance will remain active until the coverage end date (fall: 12/31 and  Spring 7/31). Insurance premium charges will remain on the student's tuition account.

Students are not eligible to use Student Health, but may use the insurance elsewhere


Before Feb 14

Student Blue coverage will be cancelled.

Students will be responsible for any claims made prior to the cancellation date. Claims made at the Student Health Center will be forwarded to the student's tuition account. If the student filed a claim for services off campus, that facility will bill the student for the services received. Insurance premium charges taken off student account


After Feb 14

Student Blue insurance will remain active until the coverage end date (fall: 12/31 and  Spring 7/31). Insurance premium charges will remain on the student's tuition account.

Students are not eligible to use Student Health, but may use the insurance elsewhere.

Exception: Individuals who are full-time active duty military (armed forces) can cancel at any time and receive a full refund. 

For more information about UNC Charlotte's withdrawal process, go to the Withdrawal Services website.

For more information about insurance, contact the Student Insurance Office in the Student Health Center. Phone: 704-687-7435. Email:


Records should be submitted by using your online Student Health Portal. Log in using your NINERNET credentials.

Please remember to place your name, date of birth, and student ID number on each page of your records to be uploaded.

  • Immunization Record Form. Form must have a clinic stamp or signature and address of the medical provider (REQUIRED).
  • Required TB skin or blood test (Who needs a TB Test?)
  • We will also accept immunization records from a state immunization registry, your private doctor, previous school, military, or your vaccine card (must be signed or stamped by clinic or doctor). Please contact us if you are unsure about an acceptable vaccine record.
  • Medical history form (RECOMMENDED). To fill out the medical history form, please log in to Student Health Portal.

Most incoming students (freshman, transfers, undergraduate and graduate) are required to submit immunizations records. Some exceptions and exemptions may apply.  For detailed information about required vaccines, see our immunizations form.

For additional information about North Carolina state requirements, visit the NC Health and Human Services Immunizations Branch page.

Only if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are an international student from a high risk country.
  • You were born in a high risk country.
  • You have traveled to a high risk country for more than one month within the last 5 years.
  • You have had close contact (lived or worked) with someone who had active tuberculosis.

A TB skin test (PPD or TST) OR TB blood test (QuantiFERON-Gold or T-Spot) within the past 12 months is required if one of the above applies to you.

A list of high risk countries, as compiled by the World Health Organization, can be found at

Immunization records are due when you are admitted to the university (should be submitted for review prior to your arrival to New Student Orientation.

Those with incomplete records can come into compliance by providing further documentation or receiving missing immunizations within 30 days of the first day (calendar) of classes.

Failure to comply with the law will result in being dropped from class(es) and losing on campus housing, if applicable. It often takes time to obtain records from other facilities and to complete requirements.

We encourage you to fill out the health history form but, UNC Charlotte does NOT require a physical exam for admission. This may be a good opportunity to consult with your healthcare provider regarding any health concerns and recommended vaccines you may need.

Records are most often available at one of the following locations:

  • Personal Records of Shots given (must have valid clinic stamp or health care provider signature)
  • Military Records  or World Health Organization Records (WHO)
  • Previous College or University
  • County Public Health Department
  • Your Private Physician’s Office
  • For tips in finding immunization records from other states, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Vaccines and Immunizations page.

Records from the list above may contain some, but not all of your immunization information. Please cross-reference the records with our requirements.

Acceptable records contain:

  • Name of student
  • Date of Birth (DOB)
  • name and date of vaccines received (MM / DD / YYYY)
  • Doctor’s stamp with address, Clinic stamp with address, Signature with address of Provider, Health Department stamp

Yes, please call for an appointment. Please contact us for more details.

Students are responsible for all fees/charges. The Student Health Center DOES NOT file private/outside insurance for immunizations.

For more information about permissible exemptions in the State of North Carolina, please visit the NC Health and Human Services Exemptions page.

If you cannot find records of your immunizations, you must start the series of vaccines that are required by NC law.  For more information on required vaccines, please see our Immunization Form or visit the NC DHHS for Tips on locating immunization records.

Our Medical Records department will be glad to help you with that request.

Students who wish to have their immunizations records released to another college or university directly may call 704-687-7192 and request the release.  A signed release is not necessary for this purpose.  There is no cost for obtaining your immunization record.

Students who wish to request a copy of their medical records, or wish to have immunizations records released to anyone other than another college or university, must sign a request (Authorization for Release of Medical Information) stating the reason for the request and what person/agency is to receive the information. For further information, please call 704‑687‑7192.

Immunization records are NOT automatically transferred from your high school or previous college or university. Transcripts sent during the admission process are used for the purposes of admission only. Please have your previous university send a copy of your immunizations directly to you and submit them to the immunization department. High school transcripts are not accepted unless verified by your doctor/clinic.

Thank you for your service.

Even though you may have received numerous vaccinations while in service, these records often do not include documentation of childhood immunizations. We would be happy to review any military records you have for compliance with the NC Immunization Law. Once reviewed, we can advise you of any missing immunizations. If you have traveled out of the United States (to a high risk area) in the past five years, you are required to have had a TB skin test within the past 12 months.

*Please combine childhood vaccine records and military records for review.

Most third party insurance plans are accepted. The first time you purchase a prescription at our Pharmacy, you will need to present your prescription insurance card. At the beginning of every Fall and Spring semester, students with the Student Blue Health Insurance will need to reactivate their plan.

Over-The-Counter medication is not covered by insurance.  See the list of available OTC Medications for pricing.

  • If you have Student Blue, your copay will be no more than $15.00 per 30 day supply. 
  • If you have a private insurance plan, we will process the prescription to determine your copay.

You can pay in full at the time of your visit by credit card, debit card, or apple pay. In most cases, charges can be placed on your UNC Charlotte Student Account if not paid at the time of visit. You are responsible for your co-pay determined by your insurance plan.

No problem! Let us know what medication you take by dropping off your prescription and we will order it for you. It will be ready for you the next business day after 1:00 PM.

You MUST have a valid, government-issued, non-expired photographic identification card. You may use your Driver's License, Passport, Military ID, or a state-issued ID card. A UNC Charlotte Student ID card is NOT a valid form of identification and will not be accepted.

You must pick up your own prescription at the Pharmacy. No one else will be allowed to pick up your prescription for you.

If you are filling prescriptions via mail order, you must have the prescription delivered to you personally. We are not able to accept medications on your behalf.

Yes, upon semester breaks or graduation, you may have your prescriptions transferred to a pharmacy of your choosing. Call us for more information.

Patients are not obligated to use the pharmacy at the Student Health Services. Prescriptions may be filled at the pharmacy of the patient’s choice.