The food that you eat directly affects how you feel, your energy level, and how well you concentrate. Good nutrition can provide the building blocks for a successful college career in addition to lowering the risk for diseases such as diabetes, cancer and heart disease. Good nutrition, or healthy eating, can be confusing or misunderstood due to the abundance of misinformation in the media. It is important to get nutrition information from a reputable source, a Registered Dietitian. UNC Charlotte has a Registered Dietitian (RD) available to students at no cost. Receive help with general healthy eating and positive wellness habits, meal planning, managing a medical concern, or eating healthy on campus.
A registered dietitian (RD) is a credentialed nutrition professional who is qualified to practice medical nutrition therapy. A licensed RD is able to assess and prescribe individual nutrition plans to maximize health and lower disease risk/complications. After earning a bachelors degree, or higher, completing an intensive internship, and obtaining continuing education credits, an RD is capable of serving as a leader in nutrition education.
In-person and virtual options for all appointments (Students must be in North Carolina or South Carolina for virtual appointments)
- Medical Nutrition Therapy for medically related issues, including:
- GI: food intolerances & sensitivities, IBS, celiacs, and others
- High blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease/diabetes prevention
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Other disease-related nutrition needs
- Performance & exercise nutrition
- Nutrition education for healthy eating on campus, meal planning, & eating on a budget
- Lifestyle counseling for optimal health and energy
- Body image and disordered eating concerns (see disordered eating concerns section below)
How to Make an Appointment?
To make an appointment with the Registered Dietitian, call 704-687-7400. In-person and telehealth appointments are available for the Dietitian. Please arrive 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow enough time to check-in. See cancellation and late arrival information here.
Request A Presentation or Program
Our Registered Dietitian is available upon request and as schedule allows for nutrition presentations. For more information or to schedule a program, call 704-687-7382.
Our Dietitian will read all questions received. Please review the nutritional resources for general information prior to sending your message. Answers to more specific questions are usually provided within 5 days.
We utilize a multidisciplinary approach in the treatment of eating disorders. Our outpatient management team is composed of psychologist(s), physician(s), and a registered dietitian.
- About Danielle Samelson, RD LDN
- Graduated from University of Florida with bachelor’s in nutrition and dietetics
- Completed internship in Asheville, NC through Lenoir Rhyne University
- Passionate about food waste, food insecurity, and helping students reach their health and nutrition goals
- Nutrition philosophy/approach
- Weight inclusive care
- All Foods Fit
- Make Food Fun